Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Be you!

Hello all I just wanted to kind of talk to you about the importance of being you. I used to be a theatre major and am still in love with the stage. I was thinking about this post and realized that Oscar Wilde's play The Importance of Being Earnest is a really good example of why we should be who we are. Even the smallest of untruths can snowball and lead us in terrible directions. And while in the play they are funny and all work out, in real life that is not always the case.
However if we are true selves, we never have to really wonder how we got to a certain place in our lives. Often when we have these moments of how did I get here, they stem from a time in our lives where we were not true or honest with ourselves. You either did not ask yourself certain questions to get what it was that you really wanted out of a situation. I will use an example from my own life. When I first got married I got a job and worked to support myself and my husband. He was young and lacked job experience as was having a tough time in our small town. He is not a conformist and does things to shock people for fun. That does not go over well in a conserviative little town. So I worked and he enrolled in EMT training. After about a year of this and him feeling bad because I was the one working, he joined the military and decided that I was to stay home. I wanted to make him happy and have been doing this for the last nine years. I do not like it and I have tried to talk to him about it on several occassions. It finally came to a point that I was really angry at him, but then I realized that I had made the choice. I had decided to let him tell me to stay home. I had not tried to make him understand my need to work or have an outlet all my own. I had lied to myself that I would love it and I lied to him. How unfair I was to both of us.
It is so very important to be yourself and to pursue your dreams, but if you don't then you wake up one day realize you are not yourself, you do not like what you are doing, and wonder how and who to blame for you getting there. Do not let yourself get to that point.
This all goes back to asking yourself that question. What do I want? So what is it. The answers come much easier if you are being true with yourself and others always. I hope this has helped. And that you are living your most true self. What have you done for someone else today? And what have you done for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment